lauren paige kennedy
In the wakes of massively destructive hurricanes such as Harvey, Irma, and Maria, the world needs landscape architect Kate Orff, the visionary behind NYC's SCAPE Studio, more than ever. Orff balances beautiful urban design with the goal of supporting delicate and essential ecosystems as she saves coastlines—and her work has just made her a new recipient of the MacArthur Genius Grant. Read my extended Q&A with her for the November issue of Coastal Living.
Meet musician and conservationist Jack Johnson's OCEAN HEROES, the inspiring change-makers I interviewed and now profile in my new feature for Coastal Living Magazine! They are:
* Scientist Marcus Eriksen and activist Anna Cummins of 5 Gyres Institute
* Urban architect (and recent MacArthur Genius Grant recipient) Kate Orff
* Scientist and whale expert Asha de Vos
* Heal the Ocean citizen activist Hillary Hauser
* Researcher and anti-plastics advocate Kristal Ambrose
* Lonely Whale Foundation founder (and actor) Adrian Grenier
* Sustainable Chef Edward Kenney
* Bye Bye Plastic Bags teenaged leaders (and sisters) Melati and Isabel Wijsen
* Legendary family and ocean protectors, Jean-Michel and Celine Cousteau
* Hawaiian seafaring wonder Nainoa Thompson
Perhaps out of anything I've ever written and published, this story feels the most important—I hope it educates as it makes an impact among everyday Americans, who might begin to ask themselves: "When I throw something away, where, exactly, is 'away'?"
How do you combat narcissistic navel-gazing in kids, who think of their smart phones as extensions of themselves? Teach them to be empathetic, author Michele Borba told me. She offers nine tips for parents in the October issue of WebMD Magazine. See pg. 29 in the digital edition.
My interview with author Adam Alter left me wondering if we're all hopelessly addicted to our devices. Turns out, that's exactly what tech titans want—and specifically engineer for—when they design their platforms. How can we unhook ourselves? See pg. 14 of the digital edition of October's WebMD Magazine to find out.
Check out my interview with Hollywood A-lister Zoe Saldana, who talks action movies set in space, raising three young boys to be good men, and protecting her health as she battles the effects of the thyroid disorder Hashimoto's disease. See pg. 66 of the digital edition of WebMD Magazine!